It’s my own fault really. Because I like to see different sides to an argument before making up my own mind (see Rule 9 below) then I am unfortunately exposed to comments from people whose opinions are badly argued, uninformed, prejudiced, immature and just plain stupid. And this does annoy me at times.
I like to think that the 55 rules below are ones that I at least try to stick to when commenting online. I wish other people would too, even though a few of my ‘rules’ are actually opinions. Some of the rules are not so much rules for debate, more rules you should live by if you want me to value your opinion. Put it this way, the more of my rules that you break, the less highly will I rate your opinion.
( Read moreCollapse )
Which of the following aspects of British culture are you (at least vaguely) familiar with?
Here's his top ten:
- Appleby's Cheshire
- Cornish Yarg
- Keen's Cheddar
- Sparkenhoe Red Leicester
- Stinking Bishop
To that list, I'd want to add:
- Westcombe or Montgomery Cheddar (the other two proper cheddars, and I feel slightly superior to Keen's)
- Sharpham - a very soft, brie-like cheese. Ideally left to mature until it can be eaten with a spoon.
- Elmhirst - like Sharpham, but with added cream. Possibly my favourite cheese.
- Cremet - a bit like Elmhirst, but using goats' milk.
- Shepherds Purse Mrs Bell's Blue - very strong, very sharp (especially when mature) blue cheese.
- Laverstoke Park Farm Buffalo Mozzarella - excellent mozzarella made by the 1979 Formula 1 World Champion. (Yes, really.)
- Cropwell Bishop Stilton - you can't beat a stilton for melting.
- Vulscombe - creamy soft goats' milk cheese.
A history of Star Wars video games. (Wasn’t HK-47 a brilliant character?)
Happy New Year, Phligm Phlagmers!
Caroline Lucas is taking cash bribes to ask questions in the House of Commons. This is corruption, pure and simple. It was corruption when Neil Hamilton did it, and it’s corruption now.
I have this vague feeling that we may have more of these…
"Hipster planning to vote Trump in postmodern and ironic way." Maybe this was why he won…
Some of the wackiest Castro tributes. Here’s an interesting intellectual exercise – for each of these people praising Castro, ask yourself are they Stupid or Evil or Both?
FIFA thinks that "fans wearing poppies" is racist, apparently. One of the biggest mistakes made by this country in the twentieth century was letting corrupt foreigners run football. It’s getting worse.
Britain doesn't actually need to "trigger article 50" to leave the EU, we can just leave. Which seems obvious to me, and this professor of international law.
The new £5 note isn't vegan!!! (So don’t eat it then…?)
French Discworld covers. I liked these.
No Nico, no GP. A lot less for German F1 fans to be excited about in 2017. Surely the country of Mercedes deserves its own Grand Prix? (And yes, I appreciate the the F1 team, like most F1 teams is actually British, but it’s ultimately a German company.)